Saturday, April 18, 2009

gentrification

A friend pointed me to a nice piece in the Times recently entitled Strangers On His Street by Fort Greene resident Nelson George. This is a short, conversational article discussing his experiences with the gentrification of the neighborhood. There are some evocative bits about parts of Fort Greene serving as an enclave for young, black artists, and the writing is authentic without trite sentimenalism or nostalgia.

I moved to Fort Greene almost a year ago, and have completely fallen in love with the neighborhood. As a recent migrant to the area, I've been thinking about the issue of gentrification, and more specifically, about my role in the process. The term gentrification itself is poorly understood, I think, and I refer to the broader popular understanding of the word rather than a formal definition.

My sentiments are marked by ambivalence. One of the concerns often raised in this discussion is that gentrification can cause a neighborhood to lose its character. I've been resistant to conceptions of culture that view it as artefact; as something static. While there is value in passing tradition, the notion that culture is some historically enshrined collection of songs, dances, etiquette, clothing etc is one that I've bristled again. We define culture, and it constantly evolves as do our individual and societal circumstances. My point is that my views on neighborhood identity are analagous. Why should we expect that a neighborhood will stagnate and fail to change over time? It seems a kind of head-in-the-sand-romanticism to expect that things will always stay as they have been in a neighborhood. From this perspective, it seems natural and uncontroversial that a neighborhood's identity and characteristics will change over time.

On the other hand, George observes with rightful concern that "there seems to be surprisingly little interplay between the new white Fort Greene and the old-school black community." Viewed through this lens, the process begins to look less like evolution and more like plain and simple displacement. For a minority group that has been so extremely and systematically discriminated against, feared and mistreated by the majority, having strong physical communities (neighborhoods) is invaluable. Conversations about gentrification highlight how segregated North America remains, particularly outside of the professional realm (see Eric Holder).

As a new inhabitant to an established neighborhood, then, do I have an obligation to engage with the local community? I've certainly made efforts to be of the neighborhood, rather than simply in the neighborhood. I'm still thinking through the question of obligation, but from a personal perspective, there is no question that I want to be an engaged member of the Fort Greene community. I use local businesses often, have gotten to know some of my neighbors, and have been trying to attend local events. I could do more, without question. Still, I hope that my contribution to the neighborhood is mostly a positive one.

Oh, and I'm always on the lookout for new local friends...

2 comments:

  1. adding brown to the neighborhood is def a positive. You talk of white and black and how they dont co-exist...brown is the moderator...

    be the change you want to see in fort greene, or better yet first change yourself before you can change ft greene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or just move out of Fort Greene if you're going to go on feeling guilty for living. Try Rego Park. Or Staten Island.

    (I wonder if all the Chinese and Koreans feel guilty about displacing all the white folks from Flushing?)

    ReplyDelete