Saturday, September 26, 2009

girls

Laura

Since last night, I've been listening to the new album by Girls, called Album, almost continuously. I like to listen to different types of music, and occasionally, I will get into rhythms where I spend weeks listening to old, comfortable music that I know, and that is 'pleasant.' Album is a nice album, in that it reminds me of what rock sounds like, and why I like it so much. This is a work that, to my ear, makes no pretenses about being groundbreaking, but is just very, very good. It sounds reminiscent of very aesthetically conscious efforts of the late 60s-- in particular, it really evokes The Velvet Underground and Nico to my ear. At times, the songs are simple variations on four bar blues.

The song above, Laura, is by far the poppiest song on the album; the rest of it has a grittier, darker edge to it. Laura makes me think of Sloan. Please give it a listen, and I think you'll want to hear the whole album afterwards. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment