Monday, April 19, 2010

that karma yoga

Recently, I found myself washing a sink full of dishes for the first time in a long while. Over the past few years, I've grown accustomed to using the dishwasher. So it is that while I will occasionally hand wash a pot or pan after cooking, I load most of my dishes into the dishwasher and press a button. This is easy and it leaves me with time to do other things while the dishes wash. My laundry happens in much the same way. On Saturday mornings, I take my laundry bag out of the closet and walk down the street to the laundromat. I leave my laundry with Ming, leave to do other things (while my clothes are washed and folded), and pick my clothes up a few hours or a day later. When it comes to dishes and laundry, I seem to be coordinating more than doing. I was surprised, then, at how much I enjoyed doing the dishes. I've written before about the ways in which we feel human by doing things, and the extent to which this is lost in an increasingly information-based society. I felt very peaceful doing the dishes. It is one of the few times when I can suspend many of my thoughts and just be in the moment. Friends used to find it funny that I enjoy cleaning the bathroom as much as I do, but it's much the same effect.

Yoga and meditation is in large part about clearing your mind. The cessation of thinking. Stop for a minute and just be. I spend so much time thinking about what comes next, and wondering about big ideas. Meditation requires practice and focus. Perhaps the act of doing something with attention and without analysis begins to approach the same goal. When I am washing dishes, when I am scrubbing a counter, when I am sweeping the floor. These, like an autumn forest, are a chance to be alone with(out) my thoughts.

8 comments:

  1. So true NKW. Many times the best way to relax and to be with yourself is to do one of the very simple basic thing that will put your mind to ease.
    I love to cook, it helps me forget all my worries and tensions. After a long stressful tiring day, it feels so wonderful to come and home and cook for kids. My daily oppurtunity to be with(out) my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! i've found the same with cooking lately

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do our dishes anytime you like...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I can't wash your dishes as long if you remain anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is baking. Pure relaxation. Also I started yoga, but it wasn't relaxing at all until I had a good grasp of the motions and movements and basic positions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I too do the dishes. As such, I relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fully agree. (about doing dishes too)

    Recently I have had realizations similar to those you had 'sink-side' but while helping my father replant his artichoke and potato beds. I have not fully appreciated my white-collar parents' interest in weekend horticulture until moving back to our town. As an infrequent participant, the pressure in cultivation (the implied responsibility for future growth) or my perception of the humor in this small-scale organic tax write-off had prevented me from really enjoying the simple pleasure of doing work and nothing but that work.

    Strangely, even while living on a rural, albeit broadband-connected, island I find that our vegetable patches are some of the few places where I can fully escape the researching, planning, multitasking and politicking that still make up a large part of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the anonymous person is droopy!!!!

    ReplyDelete