Monday, February 9, 2009

protectionism

Watching the economic stimulus package chaotically come together here in the USA, I can't help but be troubled by the dramatic increase in protectionist rhetoric and activity as of late. The "Buy America" provisions seem archane and unhelpful, and the bizarre ammendments that seek to further reduce the availability of H-1B visas to foreign visas are in my mind, completely misguided.

So why restrict visas for skilled foreign workers?

Opponents typically attack the program on two fronts: firstly, that it is abused, and secondly, that it takes jobs away from American workers. The first argument seems to be flawed logically. If the H-1B program is being abused, the solution surely is to implement it better, not to attack a fundamentally sound program. I would note, for example, that as engaged, employed residents of this country stimulate the economy through their activity in the same way that an American would.

On the second point, as well, I would argue that systematically closing your society off from skilled foreign workers does a serious disservice. I have failed to have my H-1B application reviewed twice, because they quota has always run out before my application was evaluated. In neither case did this result in an extra American job. In the first case, my role was transferred to London, which took away from the US economy. In the second case, I was able to work under a different status. In recent years, in fact, both Microsoft and Google have opened up large new offices in Western Canada instead of the US West Coast simply because they've been unable to get the visas for the workers they need.

I am curious to hear what others think about the recent rash of protectionism in general, and the issue of skilled foreign worker visas in particular.

3 comments: