Thursday, May 21, 2009

aesthetics of consumption


A few weeks ago, a friend sent me a link to the video above. When I watched the video at home that night, I was struck by its beauty, and by the extent to which I was held captive to the power of effective advertisement. Porsche designs and builds breathtaking automobiles, and many people have spent time dreaming about owning or driving one. I count myself in this group. Still, the reality is that a 911 is prohibitively expensive and most people will never be able to own one. The advertisement glorifies an extreme, oppulent sort of materialism that will ultimately leave most people unsatisfied due to their inability to actually attain the dream. The gentle piano, the quiet confidence of the boy, and the friendliness of the sales agent all perpetuate a profoundly false sense of inevitability to the situation. We are asked to understand that the boy will buy a Porsche later in life. As if will and persistence are somehow all that it takes.

At the same time, we don't need to subscribe to any particular notion of socioeconomic reality to appreciate the quality of a Porsche 911. While it is clearly excessive to describe a car as "quite simply the purest expression of who we are", the company can hardly said to be doing wrong by celebrating their work. It would be difficult to argue that there is some moral shortcoming in trying to design a high end product. There are real and obvious problems in a society focussed to much on materialism. Nevertheless, few would try to make the claim that 'nice things' are inherently bad. So why do I feel ambivalent about the advertisement? Why as though I've been manipulated in an intimate way? Perhaps this speaks to my own personal internal struggles with the morality of materalism.

The elephant in the room is that substantive discussions aside, the video is beautiful. Like the automobile, the advertisement has been meticulously designed both aesthetically and functionally (it's pretty and it works). It works because it evokes passions, longings and memories that many can relate to. The friend who sent me the video says that it "captures all of the feelings I have for that car and my dreams." Such innocence! The writing, direction and production of the commercial are superb, and allow us to suspend notions of reality that could detract from the point: you want this car. And even if I decide that I don't want this car, I think I still want to watch the video.

At the end of the day, isn't the video itself a valuable work of art?

3 comments:

  1. couldn't sleep - commenting on your post now.

    interesting write up. . . I think i get your feeling of being somewhat conflicted over the proper reaction to this video.

    generally, i would think one's reaction to the ad could be largely dependent on how much they like the product. (that's OK - I enjoyed some of the crappier political ads for candidates i supported) and certainly the 911 is a beautiful car. let me suggest that there is a another reason, more inherent to the ad itself, that could be bothering you and which is mostly distinct from the general concern about materialism in our culture.

    i feel that, while the 911 itself may be art this video is certainly not. it is pretty and it does work but there's nothing remarkable except that it defies its species - for an advertisement it is involved, understated, more narratively complex than most 30 second tele-jingles we are used to watching. But this video does nothing new to explore its medium and it does not imitate or comment on real life. It's hideously fanciful, beyond simple manipulation to the point of outright lying. I found this particularly so in the one specific claim the ad made: one's desires for a particular object, in and of itself, are NOT long-lasting. Porsche's endurance in our imagination is more than somewhat due to their cars' serving as status symbols. There's no child-like innocence involved in that type of obsession and so none of the ad finally rang true to me, even leaving aside its obvious self-serving aspect.

    That's why, i think, you are ambivalent about the video: it is fundamentally dishonest in portraying itself as art that bears truth instead of what it actually is: smooth hawking of a superior product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the day I agree with Robe, the company is trying to sell a product and already liking the product will definitely affect one's reaction to the commercial. It is also the reason why the ad is targeted towards a certain audience.

    However, I don't think it's dishonest. Many would argue that a porshe really is a true work of art. The 911 is one example but, there a ton of others. Several porsche models have been put on display in museums around the world to demonstrate the craftsmanship, design, beauty and hard work put into the the car.

    Secondly, Porsche drivers are not just owners but fanatics and enthusiasts. The car is less of a status symbol than it is as a portable roller coaster. Just thinking about driving evokes feelings of adrenalin, excitement and adventure (whether a child or 50 year old).

    There are other deeper feelings any car can instill in a person, which is also why it would be unfair to point Porsche out as being manipulative, or having the ability of being so as the result of designing a superior product.

    For example, I sometimes look at my VW in the driveway for 2-3 minutes after I'm done driving, admiring and thanking it for its dependability to get me places (I'm weird I know), but it's a connection some people have. You guys need to read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance to understand what I mean.

    The reason you might feel manipulated is probably b/c you fall into the category of Porsche's targed audience, car enthusiast! Personally, I think it would probably be much easier to view the commercial in an objective light. I'm guessing you might not enjoy as much either?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: Personally, I think it would probably be much easier to view the commercial in an objective light if one were not a porsche or car enthusiast. I'm guessing the same person might not enjoy it as much either?

    ReplyDelete