Monday, May 11, 2009

backgammon

I first discovered Backgammon while traveling in Turkey and Greece with Rob, JB and Jamal after graduation. We would see people playing at all hours of the day while drinking coffee, smoking nargile, or just hanging out. Needless to say, it didn't take us long to start playing, and the game began a large part of our trip. The game is conducive to easy play peppered with the sort of conversation that brings people together, and seems somehow appropriate to the Mediterranean climate and aesthetic.

Since that trip I've always kept a board at home: currently two. Nevertheless, until a few days ago, I hadn't played in some time. I pulled out the board and played a few games with Nico on Sunday afternoon. It was a nice reminder of the reasons that I came to love the game originally. Nico aptly characterized the game as having the right balance of luck and skill for most people to enjoy it easily and quickly. Strategy plays a big role, and a strong player will usually beat a weaker player. Still, the luck of the dice is exciting (friends call me The Cooler), and in my experience, most players have at least a shot of winning against most other players.

While cerebral games like Go and Chess have gained cult popularity in recent years, casual board games are an institution that seem to have lost some prominence in our culture. I find this unfortunate. Backgammon, and games like it, serve as wonderful backdrops to conversation. Above all, I see them as a way to interact with people. A way to mute the occasional silences that can otherwise make conversation seem stilted or awkward. I've grown closer to my friends playing backgammon. I've also gotten over silly arguments with friends, and acknowledged as much implicitly with a simple "want to play a game of backgammon?" Games like backgammon let us relax and just be with people who matter to us.

Another issue that I've been thinking about lately is that of public spaces and community. In this sense, as well, games like Backgammon can aid in local engagement (particularly when the weather is nice). Backgammon provides a social means for spending long periods of time with a friend or friends in a public space. More to the point, playing in public spaces is a way to acknowledge the a shared sense of community with those around you. Seeing two people playing backgammon has a friendly aesthetic. The image is an inviting one, so playing in public spaces can also be a nice way to meet new people.

Anybody up for a game?

2 comments: